9 TIPS FOR LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE
Acquiring a new language has some fundamental ways and methods. But the motivation behind learning a new language is generally cannot be specified exactly for all people in the world. The latter is much more diverse than the former due to its personal aspects. Below are the essential tips for acquiring a new language.
- Learning a new language is being aware of the reason that provoked the interest in learning a new language. As long as one has a good reason to acquire a new language, he or she will continue to be motivated in the long-run. The next tip for language learners is to find a speaking partner in the target language.
- Find a speaking partner is an essential way of a language fresh. Moreover, familiarity with language and vocabulary will be improved by way of speaking with a partner. The speaking partners also encourage themselves to try new words and stimulate interest in each other. Speaking with a partner can be likened to rehearsal before socializing with native speakers. In this sense, speaking with partner is a building block of obtaining a new language.
- It may seem weird but talking to yourself is surprisingly beneficial for maintaining and improving language skills. This method is especially recommended if the previous language learning tip isn’t doable because you have no one else to speak to. So there’s nothing wrong with talking to yourself in a foreign language. If you can’t figure out how to go about learning a new language, this method can keep new words and phrases fresh in your mind. It also allows yourself to make a rehearsal and build up your confidence for the next time you speak with someone else.
- It is also essential to talk with as many people as you can. It is one of the wisest ways to learn a language because it renders the learning process relevant to you. By way of extending range of speaking partners, language learning becomes more part of everyday setting.
- Making language acquisition a part of daily life is not sufficient. There should be fun in using a foreign language in every day life. In this regard, using your new language in enjoyable makes it easier to become part of daily life. Think of some fun ways to practice your new language: playing educational games on phone or tablet, doing crossword, doing multiple choice exams regularly, chatting with foreign people through online platform. If you can’t find a way to have fun with a new language, chances for making language learning part of everyday life are low!
- It is essential to feel comfortable and free to make mistakes. It also means being courageous enough to put yourself in potentially embarrassing situations. This can be awkward, but it’s the only way to advance yourself in a language. Regardless of the effort you put in learning a language, without putting yourself in such situation, it won’t suffice to excel in a language. This situations can be talking to strangers in the language, ask for directions, ordering meal, try to make a joke. The more often you perform this, the more spacious your comfort zone becomes and the more at ease you’ll be in new situations.
- Speaking is just one dimension of learning a language. Out of all our language-learning tips, listening might be the most straightforward. In fact, it can’t be emphasized enough. Before learning to speak, you need to learn to listen. When you hear a different language, it will sound unfamiliar. Only way to get familiarity with different sound is to get expose to them more. The more familiar it becomes, easier it is to speak and comprehend.
- In addition to listening, which is a mental process, observing foreign speakers’ facial movements and gestures is another aspect of gaining familiarity to that language. It might seem a bit weird to follow how a foreign speaker uses his or her tongue, lips and throat. But making pronunciation in correct way entails looking at someone when he or she says words. While they utter voices in their native gestures, there arises chance to imitate them as much as possible. If you can’t watch and imitate a native-speaker in person, alternative way is watching foreign-language films and TV.
- Last but not the least, it is highly crucial to it’s crucial to immerse yourself and practice your new language in daily life. Trying to think, write, speak in target language throughout the daily routine allows you to be a native speaker in that language. Surrounding yourself with the new language culture is key to transform into the member of that culture. This can be defined also as 360° maximalist approach.